Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Panel Edge Glue-ups Without Jointing?

On 10/12/10 11:03 AM, John wrote:
I have to say that I find this whole thread surprising. I've never
used a jointer for glue up edges. The thought that you might need one
for every cut...

For the OP, here's a suggestion (and I know I'm going to get flamed
for it, but it's true...) -- you mentioned the length of your cuts
which makes me think you may have an issue with support for long
pieces on your table saw, which may be leading to some of your
problems.

I actually mentioned that I do have a long outfeed table. There are no
problems.
I'm asking because I now *have* good equipment and don't want to take
extra, unnecessary, steps, if the saw will do the trick, alone.

For really long and accurate cuts, I actually end up using
my circular saw and jig... I support my piece on a couple sheets of
MDF, which is suspended above the ground by some 2x4's. I clamp on my
jig,and make the cut. Because my jig is made from MDF as well, I know
the cut will be perfectly straight. So long as it's clamped to the
cut piece securely, and I'm careful to hold the saw properly, I can
make multiple repeated cuts, that are, quite frankly, dead on. With a
good blade, the cut is perfectly smooth (within .1mm I'm sure).

That's the technique I used before I had a good table saw.
I still have the jigs for cutting panels on site, when I don't have a
table saw, or for rough cutting panels my little shop.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--