Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Panel Edge Glue-ups Without Jointing?

On 10/12/2010 11:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/12/10 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/12/2010 10:47 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have a high-tooth Freud on there, now which has served me very well.
I can get that LM74 for under 60 bucks, but have been looking for an
excuse to get a WWII.

Are you saying the WWII will have as good a finish as the LM74?

Once you own a WWII you will never need an excuse to buy another. AAMOF,
I have two, and another is on my shopping list as we speak.

The two I will send two back for re-sharpening soon are going on eight
to ten years old and I felt it was time to spring for a new one with a
new job coming up.

As long as they continue to keep their old fashioned "Made in USA"
quality, my shop will never be without a Forrest WWII ...

Is that a yes on the glue line, then? :-)

Well, the WWII is a "combination" blade, optimized as an all purpose
blade that does an exceptional job either ripping or crosscutting.

The Freud Glue Line Rip is optimized, in tooth pattern and setting,
specifically for ripping, as well as for getting an exceptional cut.

In actual practice, and IME, either blade will work fine in most stock
for making glue line ready rip cuts.

That said, not all stock is the same and, particularly with thicker
hardwoods, I firmly believe that a high quality, dedicated "rip" blade
is the best tool for the job if you're not going to use the jointer.

When I spend a thousand dollars on material on a project, I want every
single advantage I can reasonably buy ... thus my preference for the
jointer in this situation; followed closely by the Freud GLR.

I would use the WWII and would more or less feel comfortable doing so,
but it would not be the first tool I would reach for.

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010