Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar[_3_] Robert Haar[_3_] is offline

Default Panel Edge Glue-ups Without Jointing?

On 10/11/10 10:27 PM, in article ,
"-MIKE-" wrote:

I'm getting ready to glue up some panels for an electronics rack case
I'm building for a client. The longest panels will be 42".

In what I think was a table saw thread, maybe a year ago, someone
mentioned that they get a glue-up-ready edge joint with their table saw.
I do have a jointer, but I also have a good table saw with a good
blade, a long rip fence and a long outfeed table.

It wasn't me, but I do glue ups with edges directly from the table saw. What
it requires is a good blade (Forrest WWII for me) and careful alignment of
the saw.

Note that you do need a good straight edge to run against the saw fence. A
jointer can be helpful in getting that starting point. You can achieve the
same thing with a sled that holds the board straight for the initial cut,
but that takes a bit of work to set up. Or you can go back to hand tools and
use a plane.