Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Ash veneer on Oak-veneered ply

On Oct 9, 12:14*pm, fourrings wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:38 am, Robatoy wrote:

Ash veneer is usually thick enough not to have to worry about
telegraphing sanded end-grain. The stuff can be very crumbly though.
Making the torsion box out of 3/4" is overkill. imnsho. Maybe the
outer perimeter, but the cells and top itself would just as well be
made out of 1/2" (6x6 cells?).
If you're using wood glue on ash veneer anywhere, be careful. The
stuff bleeds through. Go for the paper-backed veneer, much safer and
usually better quality.
YMWV

Good point. *My original sketch had 1/2" all around but I figured it
needed more rigidity in the frame. *My reasoning is that the top has
three cutouts sized approx. 15"x15" for recessed mounting of a pair of
turntables and a mixer. *Which means I only have three cells over the
whole table span. *Would you still use 1/2" for the top and bottom
skins? *Here's a rough drawing (top view):

I would opt for the 3/4 in that application.