John Laird

Default New Houses - any good?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:45:18 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:

John Laird wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

7.5 foot is the average. Installing flush downlighters makes the ceiling
seem 2 foot taller. Put downlighters in the hall above the stairwell and
the stairs appear cavernous.

With a standard door at 78" and a few inches of architrave, that must put
the average new ceiling not much more than 6 inches from the door frame.

My 8 year old house has ~2.4m/95" ceilings....

9' here. Proper man-sized house :-)

Yuk. Also, I don't want to be able to reach the ceiling, thanks, or be

...which means that I can change bulbs in recessed lights and paint the
ceiling, with a normal roller, without the need to stand on anything.

Well, each to his own. I no more want to feel the ceiling is too close to
my head than the walls are close to my elbows, as I move around.

--
John