James D Kountz

Default And the consensus is...

Copy of original post

*snip*

Ok last week I loved it now I hate it. Got me a mortiser and started really
using it this week and while getting into the real workings of the thing I
have totally changed my opinion about them. Or at least the one I have, the
Delta. First thing I noticed was the fact that when centered on 3/4" stock
(yeah I know how un-common right?) the damn head hits the post that the hold
down it mounted on preventing you to make a mortise deeper than 9/16-5/8. I
was trying to make a 3/4" deep mortise and couldn't figure out why the damn
thing wouldn't go any deeper. That's why. Second thing, when finally getting
it to go deep enough by laying a piece of 1/4" ply on top of the table thus
raising the stock, I was mortising right along, made about 10 mortises when
"snap" the 1/4 bit broke. I thought ok what the hell it was the bit that was
included with the machine and was probably not that good to start with. Went
to the 5/16 bit. Not in the center anymore. Why? Didn't move the fence.
Checked the fit of the chisel in the head and guess what, severe play! The
damn chisel moves front to back a significant amount before setting the
set-screw. Setting the screw of course locks it in but where? Back? Front?
Side to side? Its moving all over the place. I locked it, then loosened it,
and locked it again several times to see if it was repeatable with no luck.
Different everytime. I just feel this should have been a closer tolerance
than what it is. It was just enough that the rails aren't flush with the
stiles now. Anyway, I think I'm going to play with it some more but it looks
like I may break out the 10 year old shop made horizontal router table I
used in the past. At least I know all of its perks!

Jim

*End snip*

There ya go Mark!

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
James D Kountz wrote:
I have another post, different thread but related topic. Sent them
just minutes apart so maybe try refreshing and see if the works.

And that thread is named _____ and started on ____ ? Thanks. There's

lots
of stuff here... ;-)

-- Mark