Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Ash veneer on Oak-veneered ply

"fourrings" wrote in message
I'm working on a table that's approx 24"x60"x4" (think torsion box)
and was planning on using 3/4" Oak plywood. Because I will be using
butt joints all around, I plan to use Ash veneer over all surfaces to
hide any edges and make it look as one piece. I understand that it's
wasteful (and expensive) to veneer over veneer, but the oak/birch ply
is the only one that seems to have a flat surface. I thought about
doing miter cuts, but that's a bit optimistic for a garage project

The question is whether I'm asking for trouble wrapping Oak-veneered
surfaces in Ash veneer? And also whether I should apply across the
grain or parallel to it? If there is a better overall approach to
this project, please let me know! I'm still learning.

I've veneered over 3/4 birch ply with no problems. The substrate
is stable and it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the
veneer is parallel or cross grain to the top layer of the ply. The
edge is a different story as the internal layers can telegraph thru the
typical thin veneer. Wrapping the edges with solid wood first solves
that. I don't bother veneering both sides of 3/4 ply and have had no
issues with warping.

Alternatively you could use MDF for the substrate. It's very flat and
usually less expensive than bitch ply. If you already have the ply that's
a different matter.
Art