Posted to rec.woodworking
fourrings fourrings is offline

Default Ash veneer on Oak-veneered ply

I'm working on a table that's approx 24"x60"x4" (think torsion box)
and was planning on using 3/4" Oak plywood. Because I will be using
butt joints all around, I plan to use Ash veneer over all surfaces to
hide any edges and make it look as one piece. I understand that it's
wasteful (and expensive) to veneer over veneer, but the oak/birch ply
is the only one that seems to have a flat surface. I thought about
doing miter cuts, but that's a bit optimistic for a garage project

The question is whether I'm asking for trouble wrapping Oak-veneered
surfaces in Ash veneer? And also whether I should apply across the
grain or parallel to it? If there is a better overall approach to
this project, please let me know! I'm still learning.