Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

On 10/07/10 01:23 pm, dpb wrote:

I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of that
agreement to give a discount for cash.

I don't think I've been charged more for using a card to buy gasoline in
the last 20 years -- nor even been offered a discount for cash. For the
last several years we've been buying gas at our regional supermarket
chain's stations, where we get 5c/gal. *off* for using their card.

Perce