Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 1:24*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. *He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

Yup.

"Prices listed are the lowest cash price. The cash price is a 6 cents/
gallon discount from the credit card price."
http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Lo...isclaimer.aspx

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. *I hope that is what he
is talking about. *I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

I think it was Flying J that first tried passing CC service fees on to
the customer but that was declared "illegal", so they just swapped to
a discount for cash.

Bigger trucking companies that buy a lot of fuel negotiate discounts,
sometimes based on a graduated usage scale.

I once drove for a small company that only had 6 "authorized" fuel
providers, coast to coast. If you fueled elsewhere, that was -your-
fuel. That'll challenge your trip planning abilities.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Look on the roadside signs along the interstates, they will usually
show one price for diesel, and one different lower price for diesel-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:23:28 -0500, dpb wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

Your friend has seen things which you haven't. If the price is different for
credit than for cash, there'll be a sign somewhere. If you pay with a credit
card at the pump, it'll be a higher price. If you pay with cash, they'll
push a button before pumping begins and the price at the pump will be
displayed differently. Of the 5-6 brands I can buy around here (Rochester
NY), I see just two whose pricing varies this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. *He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. *I hope that is what he
is talking about. *I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? *The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

Umm, no. Doesn't work that way. If you pay at the pump ( can only do
that with cards ) you pay the "posted" price. Cash customers have to
schlep into the store to pay, have to pay first, and since they are
paying cash, the discount is taken directly at the pump, which is
controlled by the drone at the counter. Also, it violates all credit
card merchant agreements to charge more for credit transactions than
cash. However, you can give a cash discount without violating that
rule.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

When I was back east a few stations did. "Credit" and "Cash" pumps.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

The few stations I've seen that do this ring a charge for the full amount and
then give you the discount.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/10 01:23 pm, dpb wrote:

I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of that
agreement to give a discount for cash.

I don't think I've been charged more for using a card to buy gasoline in
the last 20 years -- nor even been offered a discount for cash. For the
last several years we've been buying gas at our regional supermarket
chain's stations, where we get 5c/gal. *off* for using their card.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station
charges, not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of
that agreement to give a discount for cash.

That all changed this week when a federal court allowed merchants to charge
different amounts even for different cards! For example, not all Visa cards
are the same. Those with magnificent rewards programs charge the merchant
more.

Now the merchant will be allowed to charge differently not only on cash vs
card, but card vs card.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2010 6:35 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station
charges, not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of
that agreement to give a discount for cash.

That all changed this week when a federal court allowed merchants to charge
different amounts even for different cards! For example, not all Visa cards
are the same. Those with magnificent rewards programs charge the merchant
more.

Now the merchant will be allowed to charge differently not only on cash vs
card, but card vs card.

Good. Maybe the merchants will get ****ed off enough to stop taking
plastic, and the rest of us won't have to wait in line behind people
charging a five-dollar breakfast. IMHO, for in-person sales, CC should
have at least a 20-buck minimum.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Most places I use them, cards really speed things up. By the time the prices are
scanned, the card is read and ready.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

That all changed this week when a federal court allowed merchants to charge
different amounts even for different cards! For example, not all Visa cards
are the same. Those with magnificent rewards programs charge the merchant
more.

Now the merchant will be allowed to charge differently not only on cash vs
card, but card vs card.

Well yes, but not exactly. Discounts for cash have been allowed for some time,
but few merchants beyond the odd gas station ever implemented it.

The recently passed Financial Reform Act made merchant agreement provisions
against credit card surcharges and minimum charge amounts legal.

The recent settlement between the US Government and Mastercard and Visa made the
merchant agreement provisions that prohibited surcharges for reward cards null
(and prevented merchants from refusing specific card types) and also limit the
amount credit card companies can charge merchants.

Amex is still fighting the government, claiming their market share is small
enough that they aren't restraining trade by using those rules.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Bleah. Wake up and smell the 90s. As a merchant, I say, bring on
credit cards. Cash is fine, for in-person sales, of which I get about
4 per year, but credit cards rule. Checks can bounce, and nearly
always do, but you can run the credit card charges before you mail the
stuff, so since you haven't let the merchandise go yet, you don't get
ripped off. Credit cards rule, even with the fees. I don't even start
the order (custom made stuff) until the credit card clears. You're
either unemployed or crazy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

scanned, the card is read and ready.- Hide quoted text -

And don't forget the 5% cash back you get for every purchase. Cash?
Yeah, not so much. I get about $750 a year simply for charging
everything on my Visa, and since I pay it off every month, it costs me
nada. And I make less than $10k per year. That $750 is a significant
source of income. Ok, so I only get that much back because my HUGE
business expenses and ALL personal expenses are on that card, but
still. Not exactly rocket science. Cash? Only losers use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/10 07:09 pm, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Most stores in Australia had a $10 minimum for plastic 30 years ago.

Our local Lowe's for long time had crappy card readers in which every
one of my cards had to be swiped many times before it was read
successfully (no such trouble at other stores), so that held things up;
but it's checks that I'm waiting for merchants to stop accepting:
payment by check takes for ever, and stores seem no longer to have those
check-printing cash registers that printed store name, date and amount,
leaving the customer with nothing to do but sign.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

What's worse is the little old ladies who dig in their purses for
exact change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 15:33:33 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

The few stations I've seen that do this ring a charge for the full amount and
then give you the discount.

The card I use for gas I pay $0.02 a liter (darn close to a dime per
gallon) less when I buy gas at their station using their card.

Needless to say, all my gas goes on the card and I plan my refueling
to be able to buy from their station.

If I bought everything using their card I could get up to $0.10 a
liter (darn close to half a buck per gallon) off - but I don't buy a
LOT of gas, so for other than gas purchases I have another card that
makes more sense (and more cents)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Only true if they don't require a signature. Many places around here
still do, even for trivial purchases. And I don't mean signing the POS
terminal- they print out paper.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:45:32 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 10/07/10 01:23 pm, dpb wrote:

I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of that
agreement to give a discount for cash.

Technically it is the same thing and also against the contract with
the card provider. Giving "bonus bucks" redeamable for merchandise
with cash sales is not contrary to the contract - go figure.

I don't think I've been charged more for using a card to buy gasoline in
the last 20 years -- nor even been offered a discount for cash. For the
last several years we've been buying gas at our regional supermarket
chain's stations, where we get 5c/gal. *off* for using their card.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

and the cashier doesn't stant there for five minutes scratching their
head trying to figure out the change when the customer says "oh, I
have the 2 cents here" after the sale of $27.97 is rung in and a fifty
has been given in payment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:09:20 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[snip]

Good. Maybe the merchants will get ****ed off enough to stop taking
plastic, and the rest of us won't have to wait in line behind people
charging a five-dollar breakfast. IMHO, for in-person sales, CC should
have at least a 20-buck minimum.

I seldom use a CC for a small purchase, but one exception was for a root
beer float at Sonic ($1.07). This is a place where they bring it out to
your car and you pay there. They have CC machines and that's a lot faster
than dealing with change.

--
79 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"COFFEE.EXE Missing - Insert Cup and Press Any Key to continue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote

What's worse is the little old ladies who dig in their purses for
exact change.

Not a problem if the purse is open and ready. The ones that **** me off are
the ones that wait until the cashier tells them the amount due and then they
open the pocket book, take out the purse count out the money. Did they
think it may be free? Don't get me started on check writers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

Depends on the station and the brand. Some do, most don't. The price is
usually posted as cash and credit someplace. One discount station I use
charges extra only for AMEX. State laws may come into this also. Using a
card saves a trip into the store to pay, but not worth the premium price.
I try to buy my gas in MA as it is cheaper than CT and some towns have full
service at the same price as self serve. Local fire marshal decides if self
serve is allowed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/10 09:35 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I seldom use a CC for a small purchase, but one exception was for a root
beer float at Sonic ($1.07). This is a place where they bring it out to
your car and you pay there. They have CC machines and that's a lot faster
than dealing with change.

In a restaurant in British Columbia a few years back the servers brought
with them to the table a wireless terminal on which they entered the
order, then at the end brought the terminal (or maybe a different one)
through which my CC was swiped. Wonderfully straightforward.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Good. Maybe the merchants will get ****ed off enough to stop taking
plastic, and the rest of us won't have to wait in line behind people
charging a five-dollar breakfast. IMHO, for in-person sales, CC should
have at least a 20-buck minimum.

More often these days it's the other way around -- the most up to date
vendors don't require a signature for $20 or so. At my company
cafeteria, at the local Subway, Target, and other places, they take
the card, swipe it, and hand it back. 5 seconds tops.

Now what takes time is the bozos who insist on paying with "exact
change", waiting until the whole thing is rung up before starting to
fish through their pockets/purses, carefully seeking out that last
nickel or penny needed. You should only be allowed to pay with
anything but bills if you have it out and ready to count when the
total is available.

And no more checks, especially if you wait until the order is rung to
start pulling out the checkbook, asking who to make it out to, and
selfishly writing all the details in your register before carefully
tearing it out and handing it over.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 7:49*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

They should scan the check, enter the amount, and return the physical
check to the customer (or destroy it). Everything is done
electronically, just like using a debit card.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2010 4:00 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:23:28 -0500, wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

Not for the pretty common electronic displays on pumps. I can't remember
the last time I saw any sort of mechanical register and preset price on
a gas station pump.

There is a truck stop a few exits away on the Interstate that has a
large electronic sign right by the Interstate that displays three prices:

regular gas $x.xx
diesel cash $x.xx
diesel credit $x.xx

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

Local stations may charge less for cash purchases than by credit
card--you'll not see it except by observing individual station charges,
not on the credit card side.

Wouldn't they have to change pumps to pump less fuel for credit
purchases? The price per gallon is posted on the pumps.

It would either have to be that or charge you more than you pumped on
your credit card statement.

When I was back east a few stations did. "Credit" and "Cash" pumps.

Jim

The main deal breaker for the merchant is the credit card agreement they
are in. Many exclude any sort of cash discount since that would cut into
their revenue stream. It costs more to process a CC transaction (actual
costs from a very sharp organization) and why should every customer need
to help out banks and pay for someone else's rewards?
Some merchants seem to be getting out from under the banks and now
clearly post cash and credit prices but it isn't that common in my
region. Previously if a merchant wanted to offer a cash discount they
opened a separate gas station and did cash only transactions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote

What's worse is the little old ladies who dig in their purses
for exact change.

Not a problem if the purse is open and ready. The ones that **** me
off are the ones that wait until the cashier tells them the amount
due and then they open the pocket book, take out the purse count out
the money. Did they think it may be free? Don't get me started on
check writers.

Yep.

When I find myself behind one who waits for the total to start rummaging
around in her purse for her check book, I ask her, stage whisper, "Let me
ask you, did you think the name of this store might change while your
purchase is being tallied? Or maybe the date? Or YOUR name?"

The last time this happened, the lady indignantly retorted: "If you say one
more thing, I'm calling the manager!"

I replied: "One more thing."

Much hilarity followed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/7/2010 10:24 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who just started driving a semi truck. He says that
if you use a credit card for fuel, you pay 6 cents on the dollar more.

Is this true?

A little Googling shows there are fleet cards. I hope that is what he
is talking about. I didn't find where a standard credit card cost any
more at the pump.

There are several stations around my area with different prices posted
for cash and credit card, typically 4-6¢ less for cash. Most stations
don't do that. My Costco Amex gives me a 4% rebate on gasoline, so at $3
a gallon that's 12¢, so even if I went to one of the stations with a
cash discount I'd still be better off using the credit card unless it
was a really big cash discount.

Of course the cheapest gas station is almost always the one at Costco,
where cash is not even accepted, and you also get the 4% discount.
Despite the radio ads by Chevron trying to convince you not to buy gas
at Costco, the reality is, at least in California, that the gas is
essentially the same (California has a very high standard for detergent
additives in gasoline).

My relative has an Arco station in California. The manager of the Costco
gas station nearby sets the Costco price based on my relative's Arco
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all). The Costco
manager used to drive by the Arco station everyday to check the price,
now he just calls. Costco and Arco both go for very high volumes and low
margins.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

snip

I have always understood that it is a violation of the merchant's
agreement with the card issuer (at least with MC and Visa) to add a
surcharge for using a card. OTOH, it seems not to be a violation of that
agreement to give a discount for cash.

Surcharges for credit cards violated the merchant agreement. Discounts
for cash, or prices posted for both credit cards and cash, did not. Of
course it's the same exact effect in terms of the price, but the point
is that the merchant can't post a price for an item, then add a
surcharge. They can post a price and give a discount, or post two prices.

The credit card companies do everything in their power to make using a
credit card the most desirable way to pay for the consumer, but of
course it costs the merchant money, and since nearly all merchants take
credit cards, the cost of goods reflects these charges. The result is
that it's best for the consumer to use a rewards credit card to buy
virtually everything. I get 2% back on Visa card purchases. That offsets
the approximately 2% that the cost of goods is inflated to allow for the
credit card costs.

Thankfully, most stores no longer require that you sign the credit card
receipt for smaller amounts. That held up the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SMS wrote:

My relative has an Arco station in California. The manager of the Costco
gas station nearby sets the Costco price based on my relative's Arco
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all). The Costco
manager used to drive by the Arco station everyday to check the price,
now he just calls. Costco and Arco both go for very high volumes and low
margins.

Although I'm a Costco member, I rarely buy gas there because my local
store doesn't have a station. But, I used to buy a lot of Arco gas, and
I found it consistently bad. It took me a couple of years to figure out
why my car ran smooth, powerful, and quiet sometimes, and other times
rough and noisy, like an old truck. Finally realized that Arco's
percentage of pig vomit in their gas wasn't working well in my
particular car.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/8/2010 9:25 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

My relative has an Arco station in California. The manager of the Costco
gas station nearby sets the Costco price based on my relative's Arco
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all). The Costco
manager used to drive by the Arco station everyday to check the price,
now he just calls. Costco and Arco both go for very high volumes and low
margins.

Although I'm a Costco member, I rarely buy gas there because my local
store doesn't have a station. But, I used to buy a lot of Arco gas, and
I found it consistently bad. It took me a couple of years to figure out
why my car ran smooth, powerful, and quiet sometimes, and other times
rough and noisy, like an old truck. Finally realized that Arco's
percentage of pig vomit in their gas wasn't working well in my
particular car.

In Northern California, the Arco gasoline is Shell gasoline. Arco has no
refinery in Northern California and all their fuel comes from Shell.

In California, the gasoline standards are so strict that there is
essentially no difference between gasoline brands. One Northern
California refinery got in trouble for jacking up the amount of Ethanol
in fuel it was selling to independent stations, even though the Ethanol
percentage was still within the legal limit. Not sure what was not
kosher about doing this, but they had to stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 10:33*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote

[...]

Which is why I never pay cash at a gas station but use my credit card
at the pump.
Besides people like that there are the ones buying Slurpies and
burritos or whatever other junk food is offered and you end up wasting
10 minutes of your time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:
price (and the Arco doesn't take credit cards at all).

Only in CA. Cross the border into NV and Arco stations do, indeed,
take credit cards.

OTOH, some other states like CO, where I now live, have no concept of
basic CA style ATM (NOT debit!) cards which you can use almost
universally in CA. I tried to get an ATM card at a bank that also has
branches in CA. I was told by a handfull of new acct reps that no
such animal existed. I told them I'd been using an ATM card to buy
retail items at most retail stores and the head bitch told me she'd
been in the banking industry for 25 yrs and no such ATM card existed
in the US banking industry. I just got up and left. Apparently, the
only thing an ATM card is good for, here, is to withdraw cash from
YOUR acct at YOUR bank's ATM machine, period.

All states do not bank the same.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-08, Smitty Two wrote:

I found it consistently bad. It took me a couple of years to figure out
why my car ran smooth, powerful, and quiet sometimes, and other times

It was your location or your car. I had a Dodge van and a Honda
Civic. Both ran Arco better than any other brand. The van, which had
a non-stock cam, pinged badly during very hot weather. Arco was the
only regular I could run so my van would not ping badly. This in NorCal.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

your credit card statement.- Hide quoted text -

A trip west along Route 80 between Chicago and Cheyenne will yield
many truck stops that display two diesel prices, cash and charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-08, SMS wrote:

In Northern California, the Arco gasoline is Shell gasoline. Arco has no
refinery in Northern California and all their fuel comes from Shell.

I know not where in NorCal you are, but in SFBA, that is not the case.
In fact, the San Jose Mercury did a whole Sunday issue on how gas was
distributed in the SFBA. It all comes from the same place, refineries
about 40 mi N of where I lived, all originating through the same
pipeline. Each brand has diff additives injected into the main
pipeline, but it's all the same base. As the base gas moved past a
certain point, tens of thousands of gals at a time, additives were
injected. Over the entire length of the pipeling, several brands were
being pumped at the same time, the intermingling between 2 diff brands
amounting to no more than about 50 gals. As the diff brands of gas
passed different points, valves rerouted them to diff distro stations.
It's all computer controlled split-second timing.

I recall Arco ran very well in my vehicles when it was 10% alcohol.
The Shell station across the street from the Arco station, ran the
worst in my van. Hard to start and pinged like crazy.

In California, the gasoline standards are so strict that there is
essentially no difference between gasoline brands. One Northern
California refinery got in trouble for jacking up the amount of Ethanol
in fuel it was selling to independent stations, even though the Ethanol
percentage was still within the legal limit. Not sure what was not
kosher about doing this, but they had to stop.

That was that whole MTBE fiasco that was pushed by the oil companies
and perpetuated by NAFTA extortion articles. Then Gov Davis tried to
kill MTBE in favor of ethanol, but was stopped cold by the Feds. I'll
not go into it, here, cuz it's some real slimey politics, but Davis
backed down for later concessions beneficial to CA in the future.

nb