Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug

Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/7/2010 12:45 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 20:32:42 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

the fuse(s) or breaker is to protect the wiring. Has nothing to do with
what you plug into it.

That is not really true. Every appliance is listed based on the branch
circuit it is plugged into. The dryer may have some 14 gauge wiring in
it that was tested to be safe on a 30a breaker but when you put it on
a 40 or 50 you have exceeded the available fault current and voided
the listing.
I have never seen a fuse in a dryer.

given this line of thinking, we could never plug a lamp with an 18ga
cord into a 20a outlet. I stand as stated.

Given your line of thinking, we could never plug a lamp with an 18ga
cord into a 15A outlet. The cord is rated somewhere around 10A.

UL lists the lamp, which has a plug that fits into both a 15 and 20A
outlet. The NEC also allows #18 fixture wires on a 20A circuit.

The dryer manufacturer will specify the branch circuit rating to be
used. It is the circuit rating that was used by UL to test the dryer, or
is in the UL standard. The branch circuit protection does provide
protection for the internal dryer circuit. It is a code and safety
violation to use a higher rated branch circuit. I agree with gfretwell.
And with RBM.

Swapping fuses to switch between dryer and stove is not very reliable.
The dryer is likely to wind up with 40A fuses. You also shouldn't have a
50A receptacle on a 30A branch circuit (406.3-A)

There have been 2 sensible fixes, one by RBM and one by gfretwell.

--
bud--