Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Don't Bring A Knife To A Gunfight

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:54:32 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

Bill's on my twitlist, so tell him for me that to see a person stand
up for himself where the cops can't is A Good Thing. It is the type of
people upon whom this country was founded. While I agree that it's
sad that the perp was so drawn, it's good that the shop owner stopped
him cold, with whatever means necessary. He's reacting to reality, not
some ideal. Have Bill work his ideal on the -perps-, not us. If
violence is so bad, if Bill had been there, would he have tried to
prevent the shop owner from stopping the truly violent person in that
store? Would he have gone after the perp empty handed? Feh!

That was purely self defense and defense of his other clients by the
shop owner. The cops are surely calling it a righteous shoot.

Read my response later in the thread, My point is, and Bill's is similar,
that there seems to be no awareness or consideration for security, other
than having a gun handy. Without such awareness and forethought, you might
as well advertise "I AM A VICTIM". Everything I have learned, especially
since joining IDPA is geared to NOT being a victim. This shooting was just
waiting to happen and if the proprietor doesn't change things the same thing
will happen again and again.

Yeah, what's a Malaysian proprietor to do? Catching (and actually
dealing with) the criminals before they become the bad (both inept and
nasty) and violent ones like this would be a nice start.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London