Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug

"dpb" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

I want to plug my dryer (NEMA 14-30P) on the stove receptor (NEMA
14-50R)
so I will.

1.- Replace the dryers cord with a (NEMA 14-50P)
2.- When ever I need to use the dryer I would remove the fuse box.
Remove
the 2 40amp (one time) 250v or less fuses that are use for the
Oven/Ranger.
3.- Plug in my dryer.
4.- Insert 2 30amp 250v fuses.

And when I want to cook, I would repeat the steps but with the correct
fuse for the oven.

Electrical plug and outlet configurations are designed to assure that the
correct voltage, phase, and amperage is providede for the plugged in
appliance. ...

NO!

The fusing is for the protection of the _wiring_, _NOT_ the appliance. The
appliance is fused internally.

There's nothing inherently different here than plugging in a lamp w/ a
100W light bulb drawing nominally 1A or less into a 20A circuit.

The wiring in question is adequate for the 40A fuses; the dryer will not
draw any more current w/ them in place than it would otherwise.

--Another thing, fuses don't only protect wiring. They also protect
receptacles, and for that reason, a single receptacle cannot be rated less
than the amperage of the circuit it's connected to.