Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane generator for blackouts?

I've used a three wire cord, cut off an appliance. (Preferably
appliance that someone else put to the curb.) I disconnected the
furnace, and wire nut it to the appliance cord.

Do this only if one has basic electrical knowledge. I had a job for
six years, as a furnace and HVAC installer. So, I got some training.

After the power cut, put the wiring back as it was. Safety rules
apply, disclaimers also apply. Do not use while taking a shower, or
while watering the garden. Remmber: After the power comes back on,
you're working with live wires.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message

Will do. I just checked the furnace and it's hooked directly into the
house wiring somehow, not into an easy-to-deal-with plug. The first
thing I need to do is take a better look at all those wires and see if
I can figure out how to connect it to the generator. If not
(probable), I'll need to hire an electrician. The whole idea goes out
the window if I can't run the furnace off it.