Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default salt load

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:56:49 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:47:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Karl Townsend writes:

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener.

If using a firearm against a neighbor's pets if unlawful in your
jurisdiction, the particular load you choose will not in the least excuse
your crime. It is one thing to shoot varmints, and another to shoot
"members of the household", as some people consider their pets.

Marauding dogs (or cats) forfeit "pet" status when they trespass on
another's land in rural MN. If they attack pets or livestock on
another's land, they're fair game.

Several years back, the house two doors up on the next street were
harboring about a dozen cats - not certain of status, but they always
headed that way when startled. My solution was a sling shot with half
size ice cubes. I couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a scoop shovel
but when the ice cube hit the tin shed or board fence, cats tended to
scatter.

Something I learned a long while back--an acorn shot from a slingshot
stings like hell, makes a racket if it hits something amenable to
racket-making, but it won't usually break a window if it hits one (at
least the ones where I lived wouldn't).

If you're careful with your selection they also can have remarkably
uniform ballistics.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada