Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Propane generator for blackouts?

dgk wrote:

Many important points. These are small attached houses so the
neighbors are close. Not one of them would steal it and getting it out
of the backyard would be non-trivial anyway. No one else has a
generator. Still, I wouldn't want a very noisy one. But if it's
summer, I don't really need it as much. Winter the windows will all be
closed, which is when I would need it more.

1. You'd be surprised at the people who drive around listening for
generators - their need is more urgent than yours.
2. The only purpose a "quite" generator serves is to make it easier for you
to hear your neighbor's generators.

We've had a blackout three times this year, only one lasted even two
days but that got annoying enough for me to think about this.

If you've got the extra money, go for it.

I do have natural gas but wouldn't want to think about running a line
outside.

Why not? Natural gas STARTS from the outside (generally). It's just as easy
to tap into a NG line as it is a water line; easier, in fact, because you
can do so by simply drilling a hole in the NG pipe.

Propane seems much easier to deal with given the lack of real
need. Two spare tanks should cover any short term need.

Propane CAN'T be easier since it involves a trip somewhere to get the tanks
filled. NG comes right to your house.