Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Propane generator for blackouts?

On 10/3/2010 12:44 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:04:04 -0400, wrote:

On 10/3/2010 12:31 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 15:15:31 -0400, wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:
On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:24:12 -0400, Art wrote:

On 10/2/2010 7:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dean Hoffman"
wrote

I wonder how long it will run on the
size of tank you have. You might spend
a lot of time getting fuel.
There are many for sale on Ebay also.

Assuming you can get fuel during a big
outage. Propane bulk tanks use an
electric pump to transfer. I like the
idea of propane over gas though.

But, gasoline pumps need electricity,
also.

Long-term outages rarely cover a wide-area, except in perhaps a CA earthquake.

...or in the NE during a widespread heavy snow or ice storm, or
hurricane.

Nope. Outages are never widespread and long-lasting. Even when some homes
have been knocked out for three weeks, most have power restored in hours.

Guessing you have never been to the NE in the winter? How would you
restore service in hours when major parts of the infrastructure have
been taken down by ice and ice laden trees?

You're wrong. I lived in the NE (NY and VT) for over thirty years. We had
some rather bad storms, and as _I_SAID_, some were without power for weeks,
but there was no widespread and long-lasting power outages. Ever. Fuel was
always available in hours, even after the worst storms (like 12" of sloppy
stuff on Oct. 4, '77?).

OK, I got it, you are omniscient. So when the area (not just their
street or block or town) where my folks live (and friends 10 miles from
them) lost power for almost a week in a major ice storm because major
lines went down it was just a lie.

BTW what is tonight's winning lottery numbers and who will win all of
next weeks games?