Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default designing an RFP for an entry-level loadout (crossposted toVirtual Machine Shop forums)

On Oct 1, 10:23*pm, Donovan Digital wrote:
Howdy folks

I am the secretary of the Robotics Club at Passaic County Community
College in Paterson, NJ. Due to federal largesse we will shortly be
coming into some cash. It has fallen to me to specify a preliminary
loadout for machine shop tools as follows;

Drill Press - max. price $2.5k
Lathe - max. price $2.5k
CNC cutter - max. price $1.5k

Additional considerations;

Many thanks in advance for any help

Sincerely

Joseph Stavitsky
Secretary
DaVinci Robotics club
Passaic County Community College

Do you have a shop now? If you do then talk to the people that
currently use the shop. If not then there are a lot of tools needed
before getting a lathe. Things as some sturdy benches, good vises, a
metal cutting bandsaw, a drill press, bench grinder, small belt
sander, small torch, mig welder.

I disagree with John on buying a Bridgeport mill instead of a drill
press. If you have a mill, someone will be using it for milling and
someone that needs to drill a few holes will have to wait. And a
drill press is something you can give a few minutes of instruction to
a 16 year old and then let him/her use it. Suitable drill presses are
not expensive.

Dan