charlie b

Default Is Powermatic Mortiser Easier to Cut with???

If by easier you mean
a) you can set one chisel face to parallel the fence
b) quickly and accurately align the corner of the chisel
to the mortise layout line on your stock
c) REALLY hold the stock firmly
d) move the stock quickly, easily and accurately down
a mortise
e) have horizontal start and stop "stops" that make
doing more than one part quick, easy and accurate
f) you don't have to nearly bend the pull down lever
to make the cuts
g) enjoy never bogging down during a cut
then yes, the PM 719A and the General International
75-075M are easier to cut with.

Having an XY table common to both these units is one
of the critical differences between these units and
the bench top versions. The other major feature is
the stock hold down/hold in - the big shortcoming on
the bench top units.

The General has the added feature of a tilting head
and a pivoting fence - handy if you want to do angled
mortises - chairs and splayed leg tables etc..

While I've not used a bench top, I did spend many
frustrating hours with the "mortising accessory"
on my JET drill press - truly an exercise in futility.

Here's my url on The General. The following page has
a side by side comparison of it to the PM 179A.
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/ch.../Mortiser.html

If you poke around on my site you'll see that I've
used The General on the four drawer base unit it
now rests on and on The Real Workbench, still under
construction.

I've found that any tool that's a hassle to set up
before using doesn't get used much. The General is
used quite a bit.

charlie b