Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lockshield with drain off?

On 01/10/2010 17:50, David Robinson wrote:
On 1 Oct, 17:11, wrote:
"David wrote in message

http://www.plumbingsupplyservices.co...std_valve.html

Do you think it matters, if I go for those, that the space between the
radiator and pipe will now be different than for anything else on the
market? Probably not enough to matter - but it would be a shame to
have to move the pipes if I needed to change a broken lockshield down
the line. Sometimes pipes won't stretch where you want!

I avoided those because the pipework would have to be moved to
accommodate the extra rad to valve spacing - whereas the Matchmates were
a straight swap.

I realise now I have a really stupid question: do people PTFE the
connections, or use boss white, or just hope? I'm asking about both
the screw thread into the radiator, and the compression-ish fitting
between the other end of that and the valve itself.

For screwing the tails into the rad, I use gas-grade PTFE tape which
is much tougher than the standard stuff and tears less easily.

For good measure, I clean up the threads with a 1/2" BSP tap[1] before
fitting the tail

The compression joints *shouldn't* need sealing - and *don't* wrap PTFE
tape round them - but I always smear a bit of LS-X round the olive for
belt and braces

[1] If you haven't got a 1/2" BSP tap, an old radiator tail with
longitudinal slots cut in the threads is a good substitute
--
Cheers,
Roger