Simon Avery

Default Is tanalised timber green?

(Eric Cartman) wrote:

Hello Eric

EC| I will be ordering some timber from my local timber yard to
EC| make a garden bench.
EC| Thinking 2x4 nominal PAR tanalised timber. Now the treated
EC| timber (sawn) at the depots is a horrible green. But is that
EC| tanalised or just weather treated?

Could be both, the green is just dye to indicate it's been treated.

EC| I want to stain and varnish this bench so don't want the
EC| green stuff!

Then you prolly don't want tanalised, the chemicals can mess up
varnish and stain to an alarming degree. Staining and varnishing
tanalised wood is two belts and braces, better to stick to normal PAR
(cold grown softwood if you can't get hardwood)

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: