Edwin Pawlowski

Default Is Powermatic Mortiser Easier to Cut with???

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message
newsicNb.65971$na.38841@attbi_s04...
I understand the Powermatic (719A?) mortiser is a beefy machine that is

very
easy to use. No question there.
I'd like to hear from any of you that have used a benchtop mortiser AND

the
Powermatic. I appreciate all of you probably love the tool you bought so

don't need to hear that you love your JET but have never used the
Powermatic, or that you love your Delta but have never used the

Powermatic,
or ...

Well I have a Delta but have not had it long enough to say I like it for
sure. But I've never used a Powermatic. So. . . . can I still answer?

Popular Woodworking 2002 has a buying guide for mortisers. They mention
that the PM is the one in their shop.They do mention sliding tables and a
front mounted clamp.

American Woodworker Tool Buyer's Guide mentions ease of adjustment with
handwheels. It also has the most quill travel of all the ones tested.

IIRC, another magazine also made mention that is was "the best" tested but I
don't recall the details.

None mentioned that it actually cuts the mortise any better. Perhaps it is
ease of use in setup, accuracy of fence that makes the entire experience
better. The handle looks longer giving more leverage. Workbench tested
other brands but not the PM. They did mention that all worked better after
some break-in use.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome