Steve

Default Good planer?

(reply is in-place below)

"Harvey Levin" wrote in message
news:9_gNb.1239$_H5.869@lakeread06...
: I've got the Dewalt DW735. The Delta is a very good planer. My
: brother-in-law owns one; it's easy to use and put a fine finish on the
wood
: with very little snipe. The Dewalt, however, is an outstanding planer.
It
: planes so smooth that two pieces of planed wood want to stick together and
: you'll question the need for any sanding. The only times I've had any
snipe
: at all were my fault for either trying to take too much off at once (3/32"
: on dimensioning speed on pine) or putting a "follower" piece in too
quickly
: behind a small piece of stock and catching the blades.

-------------------
Well said :-)

and if the price of the Dewalt 735 is a bit "intimidating", you can do
nearly as well with the DeWalt 734 (which is lighter in price and weight
but still ahead of the Delta). The 734 is a three-blade planer like the 735
but only has a single speed. (The DeWalt 733 is a two-blade planer and more
in the league what the Deltas would like to be when you talk about results.)

----------------------------------:
: If you've got the extra cash, the Dewalt is a heavier, better-engineered
: planer. If not, the Delta is a good second choice.
:
: BTW, the most recent issue of Popular Woodworking (Feb 2004) has a review
of
: 13" planers. The DW735 took top honors.
: "NoNameAtAll" wrote in message
: ...
: I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I googled the newsgroup
: and
: didn't come up with a whole lot of information. I'm condidering buying a
: planer
: for my home workshop but I have no experience with them and hence have
no
: idea
: which one would be good. I've seen some discussion about the DeWalt 735
: and
: Delta 580, both of which are 13" planers. The DeWalt is about $100 more
: expensive. Is it actually worth that much more? Are there other makes
and
: models I should consider? Ease of use is important to me because I've
: never
: used one before. Portability is not a big deal because I don't intend to
: take
: it anywhere.
:
: