Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:03:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:54:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Grumpy wrote:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

Sigh. What a load. A 'callback' on some of my jobs would require it
to be scheduled on one of NASA's launches to the ISS. A lot of the work
I've done was mission critical. There was no room for mistakes. Only
when working as a TV tech when I was still in high school were the
standards low enough to see the occasional callback. Of course, tube
TVs needed a lot more maintenance than modern electronics.

So - the supply house carries maybe 10,000 items in stock.
They have maybe another 40,000 or 100,000 they can order. You want
the HVAC guy should carry one of each on his truck ?

Sigh. What a moron. How hard is it to ask what brand you will be
servicing, or even better, you keep records of what eqyuiipment each
customer owns? I carred close to 10,000 parts in my service truck for

Bull**** you did. BTW, that bag or tray of 10 or 100
resistors of a certain value doesn't count as '100 parts', it counts
as 'one'.

Yawn. You know nothing about electronic repair. The E24 range has a
lot of different values. Then they come in multiple wattages, and
specail applications. Fusible reistors used to be very common, and there
were a lot of different versions.

Capacitors come in values from picfards to microfards, in a lot of
different voltages and dielectrics. Then there were tubes, transistors,
ICs, switches, controls and hardware. There was probably over a half
million different parts made over the years, but you usually only saw
about a dozen or so brands in an area. I'm sure that the wolsalers of
your junk don't carry every brand of equipment, so you are using a
pathetic strawman.

Moron.

1 ) you assume it's a prior customer, where there would BE
records of what's there.

If the HVAC industry wasn't full of theives you'd have customer
loyalty.

2 ) you assume they KNOW what kind of unit it is, or can find
out ( hint - maybe SOMETIMES in residential, almost NEVER in
commercial work ).

3 ) You imply that the service guy is going to go back to the
shop and custom-stock his truck for a particular brand.

Maybe, if the company is run by idiots. We had a fleet of trucks,
equipped for different brands

electronics. I rarely ever took anything back to the shop, except when
some 'bucther' (a so-called tech that uses a meat cleaver to take things
apart) had really screwed it up.

Yah, HVAC guys rarely take the unit back to the shop either.
Except Stormy, who only works on window units.

About the only things I took back to the shop were entire intercom
consoles, and only after some idiot left it in an unsafe condition.

A quick check at some random parts site

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...egory_Code=ele

Shows 24 TEV's for just one manufacturer. They are not
interchangeable. They list 29 other manufacturers with TEV's as well.

And you never have a clue what you are going to work on?

'An AC unit' is usually the only info. And yeh, for a repeat
customer, I know they have all XYZ brand on the roof - 100 - 200 units
maybe. Maybe 10 different sizes and configurations.

And I have a clue that that's only one of the calls I have to
take that day. The call is some other brand, equipment type,
whatever. You think the tech goes back to the shop to load up for
'XYZ' brand for one call ? You think he takes 100 + parts off his
truck and puts a different 100 + on, based on what brand of unit he's
headed to ? Moron.

You're repating yourerself. You need to up your medication.

You figure the HVAC guy should carry 700 TEV's on his truck ? And
that's just one part among hundreds that are common.

Now try doing the work outside, at night, in the rain, or in a
blizzard, or in the blazing sun on a 98 degree humid day. Try having
to go up and down a 32 foot ladder and then walk ~ 1/4 mile across a
white roof in the sun to get to the unit. And back again for each
tool or part you need.

try working outside at -40

Been there, done that. Try doing it INSIDE at -40, too.

Yawn. I lived in Alaska for a while. Try driving a ground rod
through permafrost when it's -40 outside.

Try hauling ANY torch up a broadcast tower.

WTF would you do with it up there ? Splice co-ax ?

You would probably try, except for the fact that you don't use coax
on a TV broadcast tower. You use waveguide. 1/2" thick, and quite
heavy. There are rubber seals between the flanges so it can be
pressurized. Sometimes you have to cut off a damaged mounting bracket
or a damaged bolt in a tower leg. Work you would never understand, with
your Radio Shack crimper and rusty flea marked 'F' fittings.

enough left over to pay them.