Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again!

wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:54:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Grumpy wrote:

Perhaps some of you do not know difference going back to finish job
or getting call back, now we are going on subject of warrantees

I had one call back in apx. 20 years, and the reason that I had that
because of manufacturing screwed up which I windup paying for it
That is also because I did not go by my own instinct but lessoning
to some else big mistake that will not happen again!!!

Sigh. What a load. A 'callback' on some of my jobs would require it
to be scheduled on one of NASA's launches to the ISS. A lot of the work
I've done was mission critical. There was no room for mistakes. Only
when working as a TV tech when I was still in high school were the
standards low enough to see the occasional callback. Of course, tube
TVs needed a lot more maintenance than modern electronics.

So - the supply house carries maybe 10,000 items in stock.
They have maybe another 40,000 or 100,000 they can order. You want
the HVAC guy should carry one of each on his truck ?

Sigh. What a moron. How hard is it to ask what brand you will be
servicing, or even better, you keep records of what eqyuiipment each
customer owns? I carred close to 10,000 parts in my service truck for
electronics. I rarely ever took anything back to the shop, except when
some 'bucther' (a so-called tech that uses a meat cleaver to take things
apart) had really screwed it up.

A quick check at some random parts site

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...egory_Code=ele

Shows 24 TEV's for just one manufacturer. They are not
interchangeable. They list 29 other manufacturers with TEV's as well.

And you never have a clue what you are going to work on?

You figure the HVAC guy should carry 700 TEV's on his truck ? And
that's just one part among hundreds that are common.

Now try doing the work outside, at night, in the rain, or in a
blizzard, or in the blazing sun on a 98 degree humid day. Try having
to go up and down a 32 foot ladder and then walk ~ 1/4 mile across a
white roof in the sun to get to the unit. And back again for each
tool or part you need.

try working outside at -40

If you happen to need a 50 lb tank of gas, or a 30 lb torch, or a 20
lb vacumn up there - get to humpin' it. Then bring it all down again.

Try hauling ANY torch up a broadcast tower.

And you better get 4 or 5 calls done, minimum, on a slow day.

TV repairmen are wusses.

Yawn. Electronics repair takes real troubleshooting skills. All you
need are bull****ting skils.

enough left over to pay them.