Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

On Sep 27, 6:53*am, "RogerT" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On 9/25/2010 6:56 PM, RogerT wrote:
(snip)
+++++++++++++

Thanks. Here's the update. I bought a rotary hammer at Harbor Freight
today for $79.95 and a $15.95 set of 5 SDS masonry drill bits.

Drilling with the rotary hammer went pretty well -- a lot easier
than I thought it would. But after drilling 5 or 6 quarter-inch
holes in a U-shape at the top of the wall, I had a pretty hard time
breaking out what was left to create the hole. It turns out that the
poured concrete wall is about 12 inches thick.

I tried hitting it with a hammer but that didn't work. Then I tried
using the hammer/"chipper" attachment that came with the rotary
hammer with it set in just the "hammer" position. That worked a
little, but not too well. The problem is that the only chipper
attachment that came with the rotary hammer was a pointed one. That
tends to bore in but not break off pieces too well. What I think I
need is a chipper with a flat blade on the end. I had a small pry
bar with me with a flat edge and that worked a little better by
trying the use that as a chisel, but I either needed to have a
regular flat edge cold chisel with me (which I didn't), or I need to
get the flat chisel attachment for the rotary hammer. So, the job only
2/3 done and I'll finish it when I get the right
chisel tool and/or attachment, and I think the rest of the job will
go pretty easily.

But thanks again for suggesting the rotary hammer. I'm glad I bought
it and it does work well. I just need the right type of chisel
attachment and/or a flat blade cold chisel at this point.

So several hours of hard labor and 100 bucks later, you still aren't
done. But at least you had fun, and got a new tool out of it, even if
it is only a HF special.

Yep, all true. *I'm having fun, and I got to buy a new tool that I do expect
to use more in the future. *So far, it was only about an hour of actual
labor before I figured out I should just get the right chisel bit before
continuing. *But there was also travel time to get therotary hammer and
to/from the job, plus time reading the directions on the tool etc.

Stuff like that, I'd rather call somebody in who owns the right tool
(in this case a core drill). and has done it before. Around here,
that hole done by a concrete cutting sub would have run maybe $150,
and he would have been in and out in an hour. And the hole would have
been pretty.
But that's just me. I do understand the satisfaction of not letting a
challenge defeat you and all. But lately, now that I have a little
cashflow, some things just don't seem worth the hassle any more.

I do have the money and I could have paid someone, but that would have
involved time finding someone, then arranging to be there and going there to
watch them do it, and hope that they actually show up when they said they
would.- Hide quoted text -

Well, you _could_ have cut the time down some by not reading the
instructions I thought reading those was banned for DIYers.

Harry K