Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default scrap copper

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:51:56 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

Have you worked out the scrap value per lead by any chance? I've never
done anything with old wires and cable other than binning it and wonder
if it's worth changing my policy.

Thanks very much to everyone for the replies.

I hadn't seen the replies about stripping the wire before I went, so I
took it (T&E mostly) with the PVC still on. IIRC the price they quoted
was £1.30/kg. So it depends how many kettle leads you have and how
much the petrol to the scrap yard is as to whether you break even or
make a profit. Of course the price can go up or down.

I don't believe everything we are told about the environment; I'm sure
a lot if it is just an excuse for more taxes, but I do think it is
good to recycle the copper rather than have it lost in a landfill or
the bottom of an incinerator.

HTH