Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Small Engine Carburetor Rebuild or Replace?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:40:36 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

In article
, Jon
Claude Killy wrote:
How do I know to replace a carburetor on a small engine instead of
rebuilding the carburetor?

Assuming that you are able to rebuild the carb, the only reason I can
think of for not doing so is inability to find the parts needed for
rebuilding -- usually only a float, needle valve, and one gasket, IME.

I seem to find a lot where the holes in the carb body for the throttle
plate spindle have worn, so they leak a lot of air around the pivots - I
don't think anything to fix that is usually in rebuild kits. They can
probably be drilled and some form of sleeve fitted, but finding a
suitable sleeve might be tricky.

(I've never seen a bad float - heard of it happening many a time, but I'm
yet to find one in any carb that I've had apart!)

cheers

Jules