Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Breaking Cast-Iron Bath

On 26/09/2010 15:27, Andy Champ wrote:
On 25/09/2010 17:38, Onetap wrote:

Cast iron was used in the old days, there are a lot of pressed steel
baths around now.
If it doesn't shatter in response to a hefty belt then it's probably
steel.

That's a good point. If you hit it, and it bends, it ain't cast iron.

Is it really not worth anything to an architectural salvage place?

We recently got rid of a cast iron bath from the upstairs bathroom
(ex-residence for the toy duck, now homeless) by chucking it out in the
front. Well, not quite chucking - it took four men to lift it down the
stairs carefuly in one piece and avoid scraping newly replastered walls.

So that evening it was standing out in full display of the whole street.

There were three knocks at the door 'here man, that bath - can I be
havin it?' which we politely turned down so we could give the option to
people we knew. Our decorating guys weren't interested - their vehicle
weight limits, distance of travel and all that.

Then we hit on the great brainwave of filling the bath with the all the
rubbish (tiles, wood, broken sink china) that we were also throwing -
and so the newly offered deal was 'if you get rid of all this, ye can
have the bath, gratis'

It was the third caller the following morning that picked it _all_ up,
and neighbouring streets don't seem littered with the crummy stuff that
was in the bath, so I can assume the terms of the deal were followed
through.

That's six individual callers in the space of about 8 hours of daylight
to show interest in this scrap iron. Wow.

Of course, I've now probably broken some crazy law against giving junk
to a non-licensed waste contractor :-(

--
Adrian C