Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 6:26 am, "RogerT" wrote:
I am looking for a way to create a hole through a poured concrete wall to
allow a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe from a sump pump to go through. The "hole"
will actually be at the very top of the poured concrete wall where the
wall
meets the sill plate. . . . . .

My plan is to rent a hammer drill or a rotary hammer to create the hole.

Can anyone give me an idea of how hard this is to do? Will a hammer drill
or rotary hammer work for this? I am thinking that maybe I can drill
several smaller holes through the poured concrete and then chip out the
rest
rather than try to drill out a single 1-1/2(+) inch hole.

Which is better to rent for this job -- a hammer drill or a rotary hammer?

Rent the rotary hammer to begin with. If you rent a 'hammer drill'
you will go back for the rotary. BTDT. You aren't going to make a
neat round hole with anything but a coring machine. Using the rotary
hammer drill a series of holes around the outline of your big hole and
knock out the webs with a hammer. Expect a big mess for cleanup.

+++++++++++++

Thanks. Here's the update. I bought a rotary hammer at Harbor Freight
today for $79.95 and a $15.95 set of 5 SDS masonry drill bits.

Drilling with the rotary hammer went pretty well -- a lot easier than I
thought it would. But after drilling 5 or 6 quarter-inch holes in a U-shape
at the top of the wall, I had a pretty hard time breaking out what was left
to create the hole. It turns out that the poured concrete wall is about 12
inches thick.

I tried hitting it with a hammer but that didn't work. Then I tried using
the hammer/"chipper" attachment that came with the rotary hammer with it set
in just the "hammer" position. That worked a little, but not too well. The
problem is that the only chipper attachment that came with the rotary hammer
was a pointed one. That tends to bore in but not break off pieces too well.
What I think I need is a chipper with a flat blade on the end. I had a
small pry bar with me with a flat edge and that worked a little better by
trying the use that as a chisel, but I either needed to have a regular flat
edge cold chisel with me (which I didn't), or I need to get the flat chisel
attachment for the rotary hammer.

So, the job only 2/3 done and I'll finish it when I get the right chisel
tool and/or attachment, and I think the rest of the job will go pretty
easily.

But thanks again for suggesting the rotary hammer. I'm glad I bought it and
it does work well. I just need the right type of chisel attachment and/or a
flat blade cold chisel at this point.