Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default Interesting job opening in Bakersfield, California

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:42:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Don, the state of Florida is 'Self Service' as well. The only
exception is that the disabled may request someone to pump gas for
them. Even then, they will put you off as long as they can get away
with, since most gas is sold at convenience stores with only one person
working at a time. There is only one station that I know of where the
owner has been there for over 40 years, and will come out to pump gas
without being asked if he isn't busy. He knows I have trouble walking,
and getting in or out of my truck, but in the 11 years I've done
business there, I've never asked. He has been in the business so long
that he will still 'Run a tab' for some customers. He's offered, but
I've never done it.

I don't think that Wayne quite grasps that "gas pumping" is different
from "sitting in a booth in a convenience store running a cash register".

I don't think that you grasp that one low-wage job is the same as
another when it comes to the claim that there aren't such jobs for the
skilled. And there are still lots of jobs pumping gas, even at
primarily self-serve places. I'm amazed that so many people can't see
past their own limited experience. Imagine that you're a little old
lady who has to struggle in and out of her vehicle. You don't think
that even in a primarily self-serve area, that you'd be able to find a
place where the attendant will help you out? Really? Do you imagine
that those who need a little help have to quit driving? If you were in
the fuel business you'd let those customers go to your competitor?
You've seen the proliferation of drive-throughs for everything from
banking to coffee, but imagine that nobody caters to that type of
customer when it comes to gas? I don't care how much one's personal
experience is limited, if they're sensible then they'll know that
people still get paid for pumping gas.

Wayne