Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave Another Dave is offline

Default Breaking Cast-Iron Bath

On 25/09/2010 11:49, A Plumber wrote:
I've always used a heavy lump hammer, put a sacking or similar along the
bottom to prevent the enamel splintering
in all directions, then whollop it , once started they go fairly easily, but
it's warm work. Be carefull as the enamel splinters and the broken
cast iron can be very sharp, so best to wear gloves when carrying the bits
out.

When I did it a few years ago the shock from the hammer made my hands go
numb for a few days. Best to wear gloves during during the operation too!

But as you say a lump hammer does work if you persevere.

Another Dave