Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Interesting job opening in Bakersfield, California

Don Foreman wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:05:52 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:10:36 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:56:25 -0700,
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 02:23:17 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:03:03 -0700,
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:25:43 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

In the recession of '71, a lot of CA aerospace engineers were flipping
burgers and pumping gas. Unfortunately, there are no longer any
gas-pumping jobs.

So what? What's your point here?

I'm merely responding to Jessica that unemployed college graduates
hurt as much as unemployed anyone else. Plenty of college graduates
shop at Wal-Mart and eat at McDonald's. Some grads have mundane jobs
with both corporations while seeking and hoping for more challenging
work.

Looks like you've trying to weasel out of your claim that "there are
no longer any gas-pumping jobs".

No, that assertion stands, at least in my area. I know of no filling
station where an employee will pump my fuel for me.

Exactly as I said - more weaseling and back peddling. Facts: 1. There
are more low-end jobs now than there ever was, including some pumping
gas. 2. You must be severely out of touch if you don't know #1.

Wayne

I said I know of no filling station in my area where an employee will
pump fuel for me.

Don, the state of Florida is 'Self Service' as well. The only
exception is that the disabled may request someone to pump gas for
them. Even then, they will put you off as long as they can get away
with, since most gas is sold at convenience stores with only one person
working at a time. There is only one station that I know of where the
owner has been there for over 40 years, and will come out to pump gas
without being asked if he isn't busy. He knows I have trouble walking,
and getting in or out of my truck, but in the 11 years I've done
business there, I've never asked. He has been in the business so long
that he will still 'Run a tab' for some customers. He's offered, but
I've never done it.

I don't think that Wayne quite grasps that "gas pumping" is different
from "sitting in a booth in a convenience store running a cash register".

I see no refutation, so who's weaseling and backpedalling here?

Maybe he's never had more than a minimum wage job in his life?

I am definitely out of touch with the minimum wage job market. I'm
past age 65, retired, don't need or want a job. I've more than paid my
dues.

Are you in touch with the minimum wage job market? Do you have a job?
(I think not) Do you make regular or any contributions to social
security and medicare (I think not) or are you evading that civic
responsibility just as you've evaded service to your country in the
military or peace corps? Assuming you are able-bodied and younger
than 65 years, are you hauling your fair load as a citizen and
claimant of citizen's liberty and rights? (I think not) If not, then
you are every bit the parasite that you continuously accuse easy
target Gunner of being. Only difference is that he doesn't hide, you
do.

Troll on.