Posted to uk.d-i-y
A Plumber A Plumber is offline

Default Breaking Cast-Iron Bath

"Stephen Mawson" wrote in message
I'm replacing a cast-iron bath (enamel in poor condition) with an acrylic
one. The present bath has walls along both ends and the far side so it
will need to be broken up to get it out, especially as I hope to preserve
the wall tiles above it. I recall from many years ago that I had great
trouble breaking a cast-iron bath -- a sledge hammer just bounced off it.
Does anyone have any advice -- apart of course from the angle-grinder.
(Actually, would that be a possibility? Slot cut in the edge of the bath,
then cold chisel to split?)

Stephen

I've always used a heavy lump hammer, put a sacking or similar along the
bottom to prevent the enamel splintering
in all directions, then whollop it , once started they go fairly easily, but
it's warm work. Be carefull as the enamel splinters and the broken
cast iron can be very sharp, so best to wear gloves when carrying the bits
out.