Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Interesting job opening in Bakersfield, California

"J. D. Slocomb" wrote in message
news

The problem is that Collage/University is basically just another form
of apprenticeship - i.e., it trains one to do a specific job and
certainly if one plans a career as a doctor, lawyer, engineer, it is a
distinct advantage as it crams a lot of knowledge into one's head very
quickly. On the other hand, if one is not to work in one of the
specialized career fields I wonder whether it is not highly overrated.
I wonder whether collage really was an advantage to Warren Buffett's,
who initially dropped out of collage saying that he knew more then the
professors. Bill Gates, who famously, dropped out of Harvard and Steve
Jobs who attended only one semester.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

you have a very distorted view of College/University, certainly different
from that of any college graduates with whom I associate - in fact the
typical difference between trade school and college is that a trade school
teaches you a specific trade, a college teaches you to do research, to find
information for yourself, and the theory behind certain things (for example,
why do fluorescent lights glow, why does mercury emit UV light when excited,
why is the sky blue (answer-bragg refraction)) - a trade school teaches an
immediate skill (weld, drive, operate), college teaches reasoning.

Bill gates dropping out doesn't invalidate the above, nor does warren
buffet - there are those who wish to use their hands and manual skills,
there are those who wish to employ mental and not manual skills, and some
enjoy a bit of both.