Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 2010-09-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburghlloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Just curious why are you so ****y, a slow day? Customers not calling?

no... he's a "refrigeration professional", and doesn't want anyone to
figure out the four or five pages of knowlege that constitutes his
"professional advantage" over ordinary laymen.

Does that refrigeration knowledge amount to so little? Any textbook
you would recommend?

I cannot believe that, after fixing and retrofitting my Bridgeport
Interact CNC mill, I cannot ever properly diagnose a bad Sears
refrigerator. I started knowing nothing about CNC mills and now,
thanks to all the great help I got, I have a working CNC machine.

Maybe I can fix the fridge too.

I don't see why not, I remember fixing a CNC machine that had a
Toshiba bubble memory unit in the controller. It was a hoot,
when I told the kid at the electronic supply house about the
bubble memory unit, I got a blank stare and a "duh?".

Remember all the hype about Bubble memory? It was supposed to do to
solid state RAM, what RAM did to core memory. I've only seen one
computer with Bubble memory, and it failed twice in two years.

Oh man, you're showing your age. I had a great deal of fun with
Univac 1100 series and IBM 360-50 systems so long ago. I was
actually present when a customer service engineer, remember
them, diagnosed a core memory failure, the first he'd seen.
Back then, when you bought a computer, an engineer was included
in the price to take care of the big monster. I remember the
big splash bubble memory made and I think it should be looked
at again and updated with more modern materials. There are some
applications in the world for simple robust nonvolatile memory
devices that could be served by the technology. Darn, I had a
small core memory unit (palm sized) that I found in a junk pile
on Meck Island at the Kwajalein Missile Range back in the late
1980's. I lost it in a move, it was a neat little gadget.

This was in the early '80s, and it was in one version of TI's IBM XT
clone. It was used as a remote data entry teminal for billing at a
Cable TV office. It replaced a cassette tape based NCR 300 baud
terminal that was installed in 1979

enough left over to pay them.