Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again

On 9/22/2010 7:43 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:18:37 -0700, Bill Noble wrote:
the last time I had those symptoms, it was a 1947 Norge that had run
until 1987. I took it apart, and the root cause was lack of lubrication
to the rod bearing caused by a particle of some kind getting into the
lubrication hole and blocking it - Still, one can't be too unhappy about
a 40 year life on a refrig.

Ours will be 34 next year, so it's getting up there. I'd replace it if I
had any faith in a modern one lasting even a third of that time, but as
it stands I'll just run it until something major breaks.

I'm sure it uses huge amounts of power - but we have to heat the house
for over half the year here, so at least anything that it loses as heat
isn't going to waste during that time ;-)

cheers

Jules

The older units usually have larger heavier parts and the motor windings
may have a larger wire size. The newest equipment seems to be made as
light and as spare of materials as possible. I repaired a standard top
freezer refrigerator for my friend's daughter that stopped working due
to the motor windings in both the defrost timer and evaporator fan being
blown open by a power surge or lightening strike. The compressor was
unaffected and the fridge escaped serious damage because it was so
simple. Another fridge belonging to another customer was damaged by a
lightening strike which blew out a very expensive electronic control
board which controlled all of the complicated bells and whistles that
the wonderful big side by side super duper fridge was equipped with.

TDD