Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac

Default Refrigerator not working again

At least a couple times in my life. I've worked on systems that the
customer insisted were low freon, but turned out to be other problems.

One restaurant. The upright two door freezer had some kind of
compressor problem. Two cylinder compressor, about half the amps. The
owner totally insisted that it needed freon.

Out back, are the compressors for the cases indoors. The one for the
pie case, I think it was 1/3 HP compressor, with a receiver. The walk
in cooler was 1/2 HP, if memory serves. I put my gages on, and checked
amp draw. I could tell by the sound, the units were really straining.
The head was waay, waaay, up there.

I tried to explain (the old guy was very deaf) the actual problem. He
insisted the one needed 5 pounds of freon, the other needed 8. I got
out my Johnstone catalog, showed him the receiver holds 1.5 pounds or
was it 1.7 (been about three or four years ago). I told him that I'd
need to fix the actual problem. He refused to let me fix the problem.
Insisted that I add 5 pounds to the one system and 8 pounds to the
other. I finally walked off. I hope he leaves the business some day
and his wife calls me back. She was a lot more pleasant. Perhaps he
can retire to Florida, and enjoy his retirement there.

Of course, depending which tech you called. You might get a couple
pounds of freon added to your system, or you might get a proper
repair.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
That's all I see the "pros" do. They swap crap until it works, and
if
it's
an actual _refrigeration_ problem, they either add refrigerant, or
scratch
their asses waiting for advice from "someone at the office."

LLoyd

I have gauges. I would bet a Franklin that I could check the level of
freon
in my system, call for a repairman, and be charged for a freon charge
"top off the system."

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.