Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

I keep my "beer fridge" out in a roofed but not enclosed part of the barn.
It rusts out completely in about four to five years. So, I replace it
with
another $50-$75 unit off the various lists and/or swap sheets. $20 a year
isn't too much to pay for a working fridge.

LLoyd

A man after my own heart. I became interested in homebrewing, and am about
ready to kick it off.

I DO need a dedicated refrigerator, though.

I managed to get six Cornelius kegs with connectors and a regulator for
$100. I may get God knows what more, as I am swapping with a guy who wants
my 1200 gal. water tank, and he works for Coke/Dr. Pepper and I am pretty
sure he is getting this stuff for free. I am negotiating getting all the
"stuff" from a home brewer who was SWMBO'd, except for a $12 wort cooler,
which I can build cheaply, and all for $125.

Weather here is hot, and SWMBO will surely complain of the odor of the
flatulent fermentation process, so I guess I'll have to retire to the
containers and make a dedicated beer brewing area, complete with hot water,
triple tank NSF sink, dedicated refrigerators, and welded racking systems to
make things easier.

Moving along right on the time line. Should be an interesting and fun
hobby.

With the state of the economy today, "working fridges", particularly the
top/bottom varieties can be had for a song, and sometimes for just picking
them up.

When I was about 18 (1966), I found an old refrigerator in a motel they were
tearing down. It had the freezer part on top, but only one door. Wish I
knew the brand name, but for the time, was top of the line. Probably go for
a grand on ebay today.

I brought it home, covered it in zebra terrycloth, and put it out by the
pool for a beer and soft drink fridge. It was running when I sold the
house, and had probably been running at least twenty years prior.

They don't make stuff like they used to.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.