Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again

On Sep 21, 2:50*pm, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:20:36 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:
On Sep 21, 4:18*pm, Ignoramus25344 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
25344.invalid wrote:
If you recall, a month or so ago I posted about a refrigerator not
working.

The compressor unit in it would keep trying to start and would be
unable to start, tripping an overload relay.

After some "time off" to let the system cool, the fridge started just
fine. I also replaced a capacitor and relay (which was very cheap and
possibly not needed) and thought that I was done.

However, since yesterday it started having trouble again. Letting it
cool down for a couple of hours would get it started, only to find it
unable to restart a few hours later.

What could be the culprit here? Unlike last time, there is no
emergency, as we have less food and all our food easily fits in another
fridge.

The refrigerator is a Kenmore made by Amana with fancy electronic front
control.

Just guessing, again, but this sounds like the pressure is not bleeding
off, for whatever reason. It's hard to imagine seals that would hold
pressure for hours, but I suppose it's possible. Or, maybe there's some
contamination somewhere - water, perhaps, that's freezing in a low spot
in a line?

Wait a minute - I just reread your post - Am I right that it does
restart if you let it sit a couple of hours? What if you let it sit a
few (maybe 5) minutes? Wait till the compressor is running, then unplug
it after a couple of minutes. Then wait five minutes and plug it back
in. Does it restart then? If so, there's something wrong with the
control circuitry. It should not, under normal circumstances, be trying
to start against a load. There should be enough hysterisis in the
thermostat, or some sort of lock-out timer to prevent rapid cycling.

Do you maybe have an air leak - lik in the door gasket? I could see how
that would cause rapid cycling.

RS

I mentioned a month ago the dumb**** probably had ice build up inside the
cap tube or possibly if equipped the TEV. You might ask where the
moisture comes from in a sealed system. Not knowing the service history
of this unit I could not tell you if it actually has ice build up or if
the system had been worked on prior to dumb**** purchasing it used. But
it sure displays the proper symptoms to be a distinct possibility.