Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin[_2_] Paul Franklin[_2_] is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:00:49 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/20/2010 8:26 AM, RogerT wrote:
I am looking for a way to create a hole through a poured concrete

Why can't you just go above the sill plate and out through the rim
joist like the rest of us do? Just wonderin'....

It's a little hard to explain but, the joists run one way and the PVC will
be running the other way across the room and across the joists. If I run
the PVC up at the end to get up over the poured concrete wall and go out
through the sill plate or rim joist, the sump pump will have a long pipe
full of water sitting on top of it when it's not pumping. I would rather
have the top pipe that goes across the room be able to empty and not reman
full of water in between pumps. Goig striaght out through the top of the
concrete wall will allow that.

The water won't be bearing on the pump, it will be bearing on the
check valve. You need a check valve above the pump or the water will
just drain backwards through the pump into the sump when the pump
shuts off. Spend a few extra bucks for high quality check valve and
you're done. I prefer the PVC type that are combo checkvalves and ball
valves so you can fuss with the pump without all the water pouring out
of the pipe.

Now if you're worried it might freeze, that's a different matter, but
as long as you can slope the short length that goes through the sill
so it drains, it should be fine unless your basement or crawl space
gets really cold.

HTH,

Paul