Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On Sep 20, 4:47*pm, SF Man wrote:

Thanks for all the help you guys. This is my followup message.

I never could get it started. I brought it to an engin-repair shop and they
just called to tell me it's unrepairable.

The compression was 50psi but apparently two-stroke engines need 90psi to
start.

He said he removed the muffler and he could see the scored piston. I have
NO IDEA why the Craftsman/Poulan piston scored after only a year of
occasional use, as I have been the only use of the chainsaw and I never
abused it.

Sears has a 2-year warranty but I'd have to find my receipt and they might
say I neglected it (even though I can't imagine how I did that).

Next time someone can't start a two-stroke, one of the first things I'll
ask him to do is check the compression and remove the muffler to see if the
pistons are scored.

PS: Any idea what to do with the now-useless chain saw?

I had a guy bring me his 14hp Kawasaki mower that didn't run. He took
it to the biggest small engine repair shop in Columbus Ohio. They told
him his cylinder was scored and had low compression. They disassembled
it and it was in pieces. Cost him $200. I looked and the cylinders
were in great shape. I lapped in the valves and gaped them. Started
first pull.

I suggest you get another opinion since you only used it occasionally.
Many shops take in stuff and never even attempt to fix it, only to
charge you a "diagnostic charge". I hope they didn't charge you.

Hank