Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Which tagged NiCd battery is this?

On Sep 21, 12:09*am, Lobster wrote:
I have an old rechargeable torch (FWIW:
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/camping-equipment/coleman-charger...)
which has soldered-in and now clapped-out NiCd batteries: it was very
effective for many years and so I'd quite like to repair it with new
batteries.

I've got it in bits now and exposed the batteries; however they aren't
the same physical size as 'ordinary' ones so I'm struggling to know what
to look for in terms of finding replacements. *I'm sure someone here
will recognise them:

There is a pack comprising two cells mounted end-to-end encased in that
rigid white plastic heat-shrink type stuff, with a solder tag at either
end. *Has sticky label with "Energizer" and a long serial number,
41B030AC17601 9641, which Google doesn't recognise!. *Dimensions of each
cell are about 41 mm long x 20mm diameter. *Does this sound familiar?

No clue as to Ah rating. *Charger is 240V / 2.5W; 4.8VAC / 120mA

Are they usually bought as a pair already made up as a pack, or will
have to buy 2 cells separately and get the duct tape out?

Thanks for any pointers
David

sub-C size are very common. To find the cell capacity in Ah, multiply
0.12 by the number of hours it needs for a full charge. If its trickle
charge only, 1.3Ah will be fine.

Duct tape will be no good, you need to make a proper electrical
connection, tape just doesnt provide enough force. Tagged cells will
make this much easier for you.

NT