Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Electric baseboard heat

Pointer wrote:
On 9/20/2010 10:42 AM, RogerT wrote:
I recently put in two 240-volt electric hydronic baseboard heating
units and a wall thermostat in a former attic space that I refinished.
Regular
electric baseboad heating units cost less, but they are hotter to
the touch etc. Electric hydryonic baseboard heaters are cooler to the
touch
and seem to give off a more even and more pleasant heat. I bought the
electric hydronic baseboard heating units at Home Depot.

Even though hydronic units do cost more, my thinking is that you
only pay that cost one time so it's worth it.

Here's the user manual that came with the units I bought:

http://www.marleymep.com/en/multimed...0-2083-005.pdf
. Pointer wrote:
Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8
ft ... presently unheated. Plenty of power. Ground level. Plan on
using electric baseboard heat. Any recommendation regarding types
and brands of units.

Thanks.

Many thanks. I too prefer something that is not too hot to the touch.
What type, brand, etc. thermostat did you use?

Regards

Don

You're welcome. I bought Fahrenheat electric hydronic baseboard heaters.
They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes. I bought one at one of those
stores, but I needed a second one in a specific size/length that they didn't
carry (56 inches, I think). So, for the second one, I ordered it from
Cooper Electric Supply from one of their New Jersey stores and picked it up
the next day.

For a thermostat, I bought a wall-mounted Honeywell line voltage thermostat.
It is just a manual thermostat and it runs off of the 240-volt power to the
heater. I think Fahrenheat also makes the same type of wall mounted
thermostats. The way that it is wired is that the power/feed goes to the
thermostat, then from there to the heater unit. You can also buy
thermostats that mount right on the heater unit itself, but I wanted a
wall-mounted one.

I am pretty sure that Fahrenheat is made by Marley, or they are the same
company, or something like that. Here's their website:
http://www.marleymep.com/en/fahrenhe...d-heaters.aspx .