Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

"RogerT" wrote:

I am looking for a way to create a hole through a poured concrete wall to
allow a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe from a sump pump to go through.

I'd buy a 2" core drill bit [about $100 on ebay] and use my 1/2"
drill. [*not* in hammer mode] The bit I have is about 4". I'd
drill till it bottoms- chisel the waste and do it again.

Hitting re-rod might create a problem- but to do 8" of concrete would
be a 10 minute job-- and you'd end up with a nice hole exactly where
you want it.
-snip-

Which is better to rent for this job -- a hammer drill or a rotary hammer?

If you're determined to rent- I'd ask what they have in core drills.
There might be something that will plow through re-rod & 8" of
concrete in short order.

Personally- I'd rather own the tool to use another day.

Jim