Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Mending an office chair

On Sep 19, 12:21*pm, Adrian Simpson wrote:
In article , Adrian Simpson
writes

My office chair is not happy. *The height adjustment on it has stopped
working and it is now set at the lowest level. *If I try raising it (by
pressing the lever) nothing happens, if I physically pull the seat up,
it drops straight back down.

I've had a look at it, but there is nothing obvious (apart from a screw
falling out, and I can't for the life of my work out where it came
from). *I'm not sure what the mechanism for controlling the height is,
either a spring or gas strut I would think.

Thanks for the various replies (and the promptness), I think you've
confirmed my diagnosis. *The chair is one that I use at home, so
cannibalising another one probably isn't an option. *Looks like I'll
have to have a rummage down the back of the settee to see what I can
find in the way of loose change, and buy another :-(

Adrian

If its lost its gas, presumably its ok to drill through the lot and
put a bolt in, fixing it at one height.

NT