Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

On 9/16/2010 8:30 PM thanatoid spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

I am not a professional electronics repairperson.

Neither am I.

I don't maintain a repair shop, nor solicit repairs.

Neither do I.

This is why I own no XLR connectors: normally I have absolutely no
need for such things. I have no sound equipment, microphones, etc.

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

Good. Sound reinforcement was never my responsibility even when I was in
this band.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN DOING
A GIG.

The amp was not essential to the gig; we just wanted to use it to make
announcements during the performance, as it was also a memorial to the
founder of the band who had just died a week before. Since we were
playing in a relatively small room, we make do without.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time, huh?

Nope. We're an acoustic band, generally play without any sound
reinforcement at all.

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong with
it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have a
single XLR cable in the house?

Nope. You see a problem with that?

Hmm. What kind of band?

Eastern European and Balkan folk and popular (from a previous century)
music. Mostly totally obsolete music that most people haven't heard and
don't care about.