Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:08:35 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus12523 wrote:

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump? I'd never do that since there is no
backup and no time to deploy a backup anyway. I did go skydiving from
14,000' (tandem) and it was spectacular and highly recommended.

With sky
diving, you deploy the parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy
the reserve parachute if there is a problem with the main.

A tandem jump is NOT skydiving. A tandem jump is a carny ride.

Skydiving is when there's nobody up ther but you and God, and God
doesn't talk to skydivers - he thinks we're crazy, and nothing
between you and the ground but your parachute and your training.

I wouldn't take a tandem jump if you paid me. (well, depending on
how _much_ you paid me - I am a whore, after all. ;-) )

For Iggy, no, it's not a bungee-jump - it means that the ripcord
is attached to the airplane, so the chute CAN'T not open.

And there isn't enough money in the world to get me to bungee-jump.

When I was in skydiving training, we had to take five static line
jumps before we were qualified to pull our own ripcord.

Cheers!
Rich