Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check out another one:

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...-of-ri-71.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:45:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I can't imagine a 1700' unguyed tower. Must mean guyed. I've seen
the jumble of steel on the ground on the news when one of those things
comes down.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

It's simply copy written by someone without a clue. It's simply a guyed
tower. I also seriously doubt that tower work is the most dangerous job
in America by a long shot. There is a lot of safety gear used and when
the weather is bad they simply don't work. Nothing like those crab
fisherman or numerous other occupations working in far more dangerous
conditions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09/15/2010 11:45 AM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

A guided tower is just like a guided missile, only the control system is
lots easier.

I think it's a clueless author -- if it gets by the spell checker it
must be right. I have an IEEE Spectrum magazine with an editorial that
talks about a helicopter flying in "Map of the earth" mode -- that's NAP
of the earth, you dingbat!!.

Call it the New Illiteracy. Or maybe the Newel Iterate Sea.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

Commercial divers and weldors are at or near the top of the list.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 11:45*am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Based on workmans comp rates, hard-hat divers was and always will be
the most dangerous. Particularly in the bridge construction business.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:45:52 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that it's actually "guyed," but
some hotshot journalist thought he heard "guided", because he'd never
heard of a guy wire.

Kinda like people who go have their pet "spaded." ;-)

And Geordy LaForge talks about an "energy dampening field" - can't have
that energy drying out, now can we? ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump? I'd never do that since there is no
backup and no time to deploy a backup anyway. I did go skydiving from
14,000' (tandem) and it was spectacular and highly recommended. With sky
diving, you deploy the parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy
the reserve parachute if there is a problem with the main.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

You're right about that, at least for commercial divers.

The eighth paragraph on this page says the fatality rate for divers is
180 deaths per year for each 100,000 employed divers.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...fshore-dsv.htm

The chart part way down this OSHA page says the rate for tower workers
is 183.6 per year for each 100,000 workers.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...CHES&p_id=1267

I've run out of time, so I didn't look for data on welders, but I'd bet
commercial underwater welders might take the prize for highest fatality
rate. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump?

I mean from an airplane.

Search for static line skydiving. In static line method, one skydives
alone and a line from the backpack to the plane pulls the parachute
cord automatically.

I'd never do that since there is no backup and no time to deploy a
backup anyway. I did go skydiving from 14,000' (tandem) and it was
spectacular and highly recommended. With sky diving, you deploy the
parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy the reserve
parachute if there is a problem with the main.

sounds fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump?

I mean from an airplane.

Search for static line skydiving. In static line method, one skydives
alone and a line from the backpack to the plane pulls the parachute
cord automatically.

Ah. I believe that method is considered a bit dangerous since your chute
deploys fairly close to the plane.

I'd never do that since there is no backup and no time to deploy a
backup anyway. I did go skydiving from 14,000' (tandem) and it was
spectacular and highly recommended. With sky diving, you deploy the
parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy the reserve
parachute if there is a problem with the main.

sounds fun.

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid.

A tower that high should have a freight elevator. Of course, it
would take over an hour to reach the top.

Show that in 3D Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those
that weren't having panic attacks and fleeing.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall tower
which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by our
worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful in
finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy
wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Either an error in pronunciation, or in hearing. It is "guyed" tower.
Meaning it is stabilized by "guy wires". Steel cables to hold it up in the
wind.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

Welding does not increase the danger to a diver by a very large degree.
Welding underwater is considered easy diving. Getting everything rigged up
and in place is the hard dangerous part. Underwater electric cutting can be
hazardous, but that's because you are cutting things into parts that have to
fall off or down.

Steve - ex commercial diver, ex tower worker, and ex weldor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 15, 6:57*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385

Awesome, thanks for that.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guided Tour ? ;-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/15/2010 3:16 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 4:45*am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Its sloppy writing, hopefully not by the same Junior CEO who is in
charge of the structural integrity safety "certification" - possibly
the same guy does "gas pipeline certification" as his second job.
Perhaps he also checks the reasons that "people from places that we
all know are not friendly even though we have bought the current
brutally repressive government " want to learn how to fly big
passenger aeroplanes.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Everything we hear on the news is correct, with the excpetion of those
things we have personal knowledge about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:
On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385

Gone from there too already. Here's what the "owner" of that video says
caused him to take it down:

http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG/

The reason I made my OP asking about the use of the adjective "guided"
was because that spelling appeared in the intro portion of the video,
which seemed like a fairly professional piece to me.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385

Well, as of Thursday 1:30 PM Eeast Coast USA time its still up at:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2d_1284588370

If gone from there just Google +"Stairway To Heaven" +tower and you'll
find lots of other locations.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:39:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385

Well, as of Thursday 1:30 PM Eeast Coast USA time its still up at:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2d_1284588370

If gone from there just Google +"Stairway To Heaven" +tower and you'll
find lots of other locations.

I just started watching that. "Why are my nuts drawn up so tightly, my
breathing fast and shallow, and my heartbeat accelerated?" I wonder.

I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:39:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:08:35 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus12523 wrote:

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump? I'd never do that since there is no
backup and no time to deploy a backup anyway. I did go skydiving from
14,000' (tandem) and it was spectacular and highly recommended.

With sky
diving, you deploy the parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy
the reserve parachute if there is a problem with the main.

A tandem jump is NOT skydiving. A tandem jump is a carny ride.

Skydiving is when there's nobody up ther but you and God, and God
doesn't talk to skydivers - he thinks we're crazy, and nothing
between you and the ground but your parachute and your training.

I wouldn't take a tandem jump if you paid me. (well, depending on
how _much_ you paid me - I am a whore, after all. ;-) )

For Iggy, no, it's not a bungee-jump - it means that the ripcord
is attached to the airplane, so the chute CAN'T not open.

And there isn't enough money in the world to get me to bungee-jump.

When I was in skydiving training, we had to take five static line
jumps before we were qualified to pull our own ripcord.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:20:43 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.

You pull at SIX THOUSAND FEET? The parachute ride is really the most
boring part of skydiving. We always used to pull at about three, the
"brave" ones at two to two five. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:21 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

That would be especially easy for you, Michael - you could hold two
extra paintbrushes in your feet!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12523 wrote:

[...]

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 2:50*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:39:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia

wrote:
Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

against his government." * * * * * * * --Edward Abbey- Hide quoted text -

There are a variety of shows on Discovery, Science Channel, etc. that
show people doing jobs like this. One showed changing a light bulb at
the top of the Golden Gate bridge. I got a little queasy watching
that. Another showed a crew working on the antennas on top of the
Empire State building. The crew chief on that job was in his mid-
fifties(as I am). I was amazed that they didn't plan for easier
climbing when they built the tower. It involved climbing past
obstacles that stuck out a couple of feet.

I've flown open-cockpit planes, but I get nervous on ladders. Go
figure. I did work on the roof of a 50-story building in NY a couple
of years ago, and was nervous getting anywhere near the parapet walls.
I'm glad that somebody does this work. I'm more glad that it isn't me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

That would be especially easy for you, Michael - you could hold two
extra paintbrushes in your feet!

Yawn......

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2010 4:27 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:20:43 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.

You pull at SIX THOUSAND FEET? The parachute ride is really the most
boring part of skydiving. We always used to pull at about three, the
"brave" ones at two to two five. :-)

And the BASE jumpers never _get_ as high as two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12065 wrote:

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

My flying instructor and hangermate flew jump
planes for two years. He said he was always
greatly amused at the change in the jumpers'
disposition the few times he had to tell them
that the plane was broke and that he had to
return to the field without letting them jump.

Apparently that adrenaline window is rather narrow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

I've flown open-cockpit planes, but I get nervous on ladders. Go
figure. I did work on the roof of a 50-story building in NY a couple
of years ago, and was nervous getting anywhere near the parapet walls.
I'm glad that somebody does this work. I'm more glad that it isn't me.

Many pilots have fear of heights. I've flown
in helicopters with the doors removed and had
a blast. I've also have a slight wave of anxiety
when standing out on a narrow ledge.

In my youth I had to climb a 125' tower every
once in a while. I just kept telling myself
that you can fall and die from 15' just as
easily as 125'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:41:34 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
On 9/16/2010 4:27 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:20:43 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.

You pull at SIX THOUSAND FEET? The parachute ride is really the most
boring part of skydiving. We always used to pull at about three, the
"brave" ones at two to two five. :-)

And the BASE jumpers never _get_ as high as two.

To me, BASE jumping is just as stupid as bungee jumping or hang gliding. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12523 wrote:

[...]

Most newbies, after their awareness jump, at one time or another say,
"That's the most fun I've ever had with my pants on!"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:56:07 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus12065 wrote:

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

My flying instructor and hangermate flew jump
planes for two years. He said he was always
greatly amused at the change in the jumpers'
disposition the few times he had to tell them
that the plane was broke and that he had to
return to the field without letting them jump.

Apparently that adrenaline window is rather narrow.

I'd definitely rather jump out of a broken plane than try to land in it.

Statistically, it's safer. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:27:54 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:20:43 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.

You pull at SIX THOUSAND FEET? The parachute ride is really the most
boring part of skydiving. We always used to pull at about three, the
"brave" ones at two to two five. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

The canopy ride wasn't ALWAYS the most boring part. If you had a ram
air canopy like I did and the target was in a bowl with a three
hundred foot hill and the wind was blowing right you could have a lot
of fun and test your flying skills by slope soaring for as long as
possible. Unfortunately, the Strato-Star wasn't made for soaring and
had a pretty good rate of descent. I was still able to make two or
three passes along the length of the hill before having to turn to the
target.

Jim
D-4501
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:01:44 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:

I've flown open-cockpit planes, but I get nervous on ladders. Go
figure. I did work on the roof of a 50-story building in NY a couple
of years ago, and was nervous getting anywhere near the parapet walls.
I'm glad that somebody does this work. I'm more glad that it isn't me.

Many pilots have fear of heights. I've flown
in helicopters with the doors removed and had
a blast. I've also have a slight wave of anxiety
when standing out on a narrow ledge.

In my youth I had to climb a 125' tower every
once in a while. I just kept telling myself
that you can fall and die from 15' just as
easily as 125'.

As I used to tell my skydiving students, the fall doesn't hurt but
that last 1/8" is a bitch!
Jim
D-4501