Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

Guided Tour ? ;-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/15/2010 3:16 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 09/15/2010 11:45 AM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy wires?

A guided tower is just like a guided missile, only the control system is lots
easier.

I think it's a clueless author -- if it gets by the spell checker it must be
right. I have an IEEE Spectrum magazine with an editorial that talks about a
helicopter flying in "Map of the earth" mode -- that's NAP of the earth, you
dingbat!!.

Call it the New Illiteracy. Or maybe the Newel Iterate Sea.